Owen is a hilarious little dude. Really - he displays emotion on his face more than I have ever seen a newborn do (let alone a guy that isn't even technically a newborn yet!) Ever since he figured out how to display being content through smiling, he now smiles non-stop. Today after the 2:30 cares, it was time for Kangaroo care time with mommy. The nurse laid him on my chest and then started his feeding (he's up to 19ccs now - yea!) The moment the food hit his belly and our skin touched, he started grinning like crazy. Then, he started sticking his little tongue out! I think he was rooting around for a nipple, but Rory and I were laughing so hard at his little expressions. Rory tried to go grab the video camera, but by the time he grabbed it and adjusted the lighting so there was enough light to get the shot, Owen fell asleep. So next time we will be prepared and try to capture it on video!!!
Owen is doing so well taking his feedings. They started giving him the fortified milk today. Human breast milk has, on average, 20 calories (I guess per serving? I didn't clarify) and they are adding four additional calories, as well as some vitamins and minerals. If he continues doing well on it, they will remove his PICC line either tomorrow or Wednesday.
Our little dude is quite the little chunker! He gained 60 grams in one twenty four hour period (from Sat to Sun). The nurse said she weighed him twice to make sure it was accurate!!! That's a little over 2 ounces. Wow!!!! Tonight when they weighed him he had gained 10 more and now officially weighs 1250 (that's 2 pounds, 12 ounces). I still need to check with the nurses about his birth weight - I think the nurse did the grams to pounds/ounces conversion wrong the day he was born and he didn't actually weigh 2 pounds, 10 ounces at birth. I will check and update.
Owen is 12 days old today!
PS - If you receive these updates via email, make sure you visit the blog today and make sure you have seen all of the posts. Specifically I've heard the video of him having the hiccups wasn't delivered, so if you're interested in seeing it visit today! :)
Correction: Just updated his new weight from 12 pounds, 12 ounces to 2 pounds, 12 ounces. Obviously a typo - if our little guy was 12 pounds, he'd be home by now! :) Thanks for letting me know everyone!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Jenny,
ReplyDeleteThe google says that 1250 is 2lbs 12oz. Just to save you some time :) We are so glad that things are going well. Lyndon can't wait to Skype with his cousin.
Smiles, and hugs, and love.
Ann Arbor Dibbles
Glad you cleared that up! I thought "WOW, 12 lbs!!!!!!!!!!! lol. Glad to hear our little guy is chunking up! Love you guys!
ReplyDeleteWow, he is growing quick! And I love that he is already cracking his mom and dad up...kids are so good at that! :)
ReplyDelete