We're more than halfway through this pregnancy and we're just now creating a blog??? Yeah, we're a little behind, but really I think this blog will be the best once the baby is here. So better late than never!
To start us off on the right foot, I wanted to do a brief catch-up post before we jumped into the weekly updates.
Catch-Up Info:
When did we find out? We found out we were pregnant when we were about 6 weeks along. (Note, you're already considered 3 weeks pregnant when the baby is conceived....it's silly, but that's what modern medicine decided was good math.) We were ECSTATIC! We had just started trying and feel very lucky that we didn't run into any issues.
Gender: We found out the day before Thanksgiving we're having a BOY! We've decided to name him Owen Alan.
Midwife or OBGYN: We are going with a Midwife rather than a traditional OBGYN for this birth. We are hoping for a natural, non-medicated birth and the OBGYN we were seeing was not supportive of this plan! So we found a Midwife that was. Note: for family and friends in the midwest, it sounds weird to say we're going to a Midwife because they are so rare in that part of the country. In Seattle, they are much, much more common. They go through strict schooling and licensing as well. Our midwife has handled hundreds of births. If you'd like to learn more about the Midwife movement, rent or buy the documentary "The Business of Being Born."
Wait - did you say non-medicated? Are you a crazy hippie??? No, we're not crazy hippies and Yes, we're going for a non-medicated birth (this means no epidural and no pitocin to induce labor, unless absolutely necessary). We're also shooting for a water birth. I know, many of our friends and family think we're crazy for this decision, but we feel it's the kind of birth we want. Again, check out "The Business of Being Born" - it's was a real eye opener for us!!
Food Cravings: So far, I have craved BACON, pickles or anything salty, and french fries with LOTS of ketchup. Most cravings have lasted a few weeks or less. I'm very jealous of my friends that have not had any cravings, or have craved healthy things like fruit or veggies. I imagined myself being the healthiest pregnant woman alive - working out diligently and eating very, very clean. Well, needless to say the pregnancy hormones make it much harder than I ever anticipated to do so!!!!
What I miss most: I really, really like a good glass of wine or microbrew beer with dinner. Also, love my coffee every morning. I've given up both (obvious for the alcohol) for this pregnancy. I read a study that indicated babies whose moms drank coffee while they were pregnant were fussier than those whose moms didn't. So, I'm doing everything possible to increase the odds that I have a happy, non-fussy baby! :)
So that's where we've been....let's get started with the weekly posts!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Keep the posts coming-I can't wait till baby Owen is here!! You both are going to be amazing parents! Miss you guys!
ReplyDeleteWhat fun! The AA dibbles are right behind you on the Midwife, Ryan is convinced it is the only way to go. I loved both births with mine and we are sooo happy you found someone who works well with you.
ReplyDelete